Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Changes coming to NETFLIX


Just one month ago I finally signed up for a Netflix account. I had a hard time justifying that we watched enough movies for the $10/Month fee. Then I decided what the heck, I'd give it a try. Swagbucks was offering a sweet deal, 1st month FREE and receive 900 Swagbucks. The timing was perfect as the kids and I were out of town for 3 weeks. I loved having their favorite shows just a mouse click away and I was able to watch chick flicks after they were in bed. Not to mention, sign up was a breeze and in a few short minutes we were watching our first streaming movie. Now that we're home I am looking forward to taking advantage of the unlimited, one at a time, DVD's. No late fees is a HUGE bonus.

So tonight I decided I would check out the DVD's that are available. I noticed that the instant videos are a bit older and many are unavailable. My hope is that more are available on DVD. Before heading to the Netflix website I checked my e-mail and what do I see but an e-mail from Netflix informing me of upcoming price changes.

Before I begin my rant let me tell you the changes, in case you aren't already aware:

CURRENT: $9.99/Month Unlimited DVD's (one at a time) and Unlimited Instant Watch Videos.
UPCOMING CHANGE: There will no longer be 1 fee for both. They will be split into two plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

The new plans and pricing will go into effect Sept. 2011.

Now. I am not-so-happy about this. I understand the price increase isn't significant but it's enough to make me question if I will continue to keep an account with Netflix. I also understand their reasoning ("to better reflect the costs for both") for wanting to separate the plans. And since I'm entitled to my own opinion, I will share it with you.

1) Current customers should be grandfathered in to show customer appreciation.

2) There should be a price cut for the customers who choose to purchase both plans. Why not 1/2 off the second plan?

Netflix says in their e-mail that they are aware that we have many choices for our home entertainment, they even give links to change and/or cancel service. But do they really realize how many people will likely cancel their plans? I know come Sept. 2011 my account will be canceled. I'll stick to Redbox.

5 comments:

Anne - Mommy Has to Work said...

we were just going to sign up, now not so sure.

Kat said...

we switched to Instant only a few months back and I'm so happy they're not adjusting that price!

Christy said...

We've had Netflix for quite some time so I need to get on their website and find out exactly how this is going to affect us. We don't have satellite anymore because we love Netflix.

safety_chick@hotmail.com

kewkew said...

Oh we are definitely going to cancel. I can't see how they justify the same price for streaming as they do for DVD's. So many times what we want to watch is ONLY available on DVD. Yes we have a choice to pick one or the other or both. But I definitely don't see how they are justifying the hike.

Reviewsbyamy81.com said...

We will be canceling the dvd and just keep the streaming. My kids are the main reason for this. So many of their favorite cartoons and shows are on the streaming. My parents are cancelling all their service though and keeping nothing. I am sure several people will be doing the same. It's a shame they are making people decide to cancel or deal with the changes.