Sunday, October 9, 2011

Real Steel - In Theaters Now! (Movie Review)


This past Friday Real Steel opened in theaters everywhere. Did anyone go see it? What did you think? I had the pleasure of seeing an advanced screening a few week ago and was blown away. I went into the movie thinking it would be a nice action movie for my hubby and I would get to enjoy the Hugh Jackman eye candy. My thoughts were that the movie would be something like Transformers or packed with guns, explosions, blood and guts. So not my kind of thing. I prefer the romantic comedies.
That said, I am *so* glad I went because Real Steel was more than I imagined. (And no, it wasn't guns, explosions and blood and guts!) It's so much more than just an action movie. There's drama, comedy, action, suspense and love. The story is actually quite moving and powerful.

Charlie Kenton (Hugh Jackman) was at one time a big shot boxer but when robot boxing came about he found himself out of the boxing ring and completely down on his luck. Charlie was a high roller and made some gambling bets on robot boxing tournaments that left him out of money and with nowhere to turn. Just when he's hit rock bottom he's confronted with his past and has to quickly learn how to deal with a very witty, and somewhat cocky, 12yr old, Max (Dakota Goyo).

This movie is rated PG-13. I would love to take my 6yr old son to see the movie, as I know he would LOVE it. But because some of the language is inappropriate for his age, he's going to have to wait. Other than the language, I think the movie is great for all ages.

If you have the opportunity to see this movie in the theaters, I highly recommend it. I think seeing it on the big screen will help you grasp just how big these robots are! They're HUGE at 8 - 9 feet tall!

Below is a clip from DreamWorks Pictures’ REAL STEEL featuring Hugh Jackman (“Charlie Kenton”), Evangeline Lilly (“Bailey Tallet”) and Dakota Goyo (“Max Kenton”) as they are introduced to Charlie's newest robot, Noisy Boy.



I watched an advanced screening in exchange for this post. No other compensation was received. All opinions within are 100% my own.

4 comments:

AubrieAnne said...

I saw Real Steal this weekend and loved it as well. I too thought it would simply be an action movie, a nice mix of Transformers and some boxing movie (which I love), but it turned out to be a lot more. There was more depth to the characters and watching Charlie find his way as a dad was great. The little boy was the perfect combination of cute, funny, and emotional. I really enjoyed it!

Carolynleigh said...

I still haven't seen this movie, but really want to!

James David said...

A really nice post, you should continue this great flow of information sharing. how to digitize logo for embroidery

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this amazing article, it is very informative post good work keep it up best courier service