Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Curious George Live! ~ An honest review.


.
As a blogger I sometimes get to attend events and share my opinions.  I am a firm believer in "honesty is the best policy" and I like to keep my reviews honest, good and bad.  Gotta keep it real!

So when the opportunity to attend a Curious George Live! presented itself I Jumped at the chance.  My son has been watching Curious George since he was itty bitty.  He adores George and is a huge fan.  My daughter also very much likes watching Curious George.

Let me start with the theater.  The show was held in a fabulous old theater in New Brunswick, NJ which had some fabulous architecture.  It was one of those places that makes a person feel like they're a part of history or something.  I don't know how to describe it, but it was awesome.  It was clean too, which is always appreciated!


We arrived early so we could redeem our vouchers and there wasn't 4 good seats together.  So we had to sit way far away and our view of the stage wasn't great.  Especially for the kids.  But we knew this would likely be the case since we live over an hour away and redeeming the vouchers sooner wasn't an option for us

The concession area was nice, too, with a nice selection.  Over priced, just like any event.  What was nice though, the Curious George products weren't as expensive as I had feared.  Over priced, yes, insanely over priced, no.  So that was good.  My son got binoculars and my daughter got a star wand.

Most of the costumes were excellent.  We were disappointed that Hundly was a fake dog.  And George, my goodness he was a mutant.  He was huge.  My husband and I agreed that a smaller costume and actor would've been better.  The man's yellow hat is supposed to be taller w/ a point, but that's just me being nit-picky.  The set was decent, about what we expected.

The show itself was highly disappointing.  The story line was hard to figure out and follow.  There was too much singing and not enough narration.  The kids weren't familiar with the songs and they weren't interested in them at all.  We really expected the kids to have their eyes glued to the stage the whole time but that didn't happen.  In fact, the show didn't capture the attention of many kids at all.  My son actually wanted to leave and flat out said he didn't like it.  I guess we were all expecting the show to be done in the same manner that the TV program is.  

We were waiting for Curious George to do his thing; break something, knock stuff over, change the time on the clock...you know, the CG antics we all know and love!  But it never happened.  Although the audience 
did get excited when George came out walking on top of the world.

My husband and I were relieved when the show was over.  I don't know how much longer we could've made the kids sit through it.  My 5yr old son said the people weren't the same in the show as the ones on TV - meaning he didn't recognize the extra characters that aren't on the TV program.



I need to say, the actors played their characters well and kept them true to who they were.

I think after seeing Yo Gabba Gabba! LIVE! a few weeks ago we expected the same type of show from Curious George Live!  Yo Gabba Gabba! LIVE! was phenomenal.  Every single person in the audience was engaged during the whole show.  Their show was an exact replica of their show.  I really believe that if Curious George had been done like that it would've gotten a better reaction and response from the audience.  I heard other parents talking during the elevator right in the parking garage and they all felt the same way.

Would I recommend this show to a friend?  I'm sad to say, but no, I wouldn't.

I received 2 vouchers to see the show and facilitate this review.  No other compensation was received.  All opinions are 110% honest and are my own.

0 comments: