Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I'm going to walk a 5k with Team LIVESTRONG!!

Okay folks, I'm going to walk my first 5k.  That's right, *me*.  In the August heat...walking a 5k.  Anyone who knows me personally knows that I get a chuckle about that.  1st off, I hate heat.  Like, REALLY hate heat.  2nd, I'm no fitness guru.  I am in no way, shape or form prepared to do this walk.  But, I want to do it.  I'm going to do it.  I will do it.  Oh yes, I will.    I don't care if I come in dead last.  This isn't a race against time for me.  For me this is a personal goal and my goal is to simply go from the start line to the finish line.  Maybe in time I'll start working on personal times etc. but right now the goal is to simply finish. 

I've joined Team Leo in loving memory of a family friend who recently lost his courageous battle with cancer.  Team Leo is part of  the LIVESTRONG Challenge Philly.  If you're not aware, LIVESTRONG seeks to inspire and empower people affected by cancer and through the LIVESTRONG Challenge I'm picking a fight with cancer and uniting with others who are interested in making cancer a global priority.

On August 22, 2010, I'm going to walk 3.1 miles.  In addition to this, I'm hoping to raise $250.00 for the fight against cancer. With your help and support, I know I can accomplish both. 

If' you'd care to donate to the fight against cancer, I've added a widget to the top right corner of my blog.  I see that the widget says 2009 and that's clearly not right.  I've contacted Team LIVESTRONG and hopefully they'll have an updated widget soon.

If you aren't able to donate at this time, it's okay.  I could use a few good cheerleaders cheering me on!  Leave me a comment and let me know how much I rock for doing this :P  No seriously, this is a huge deal for me...words of encouragement are always welcomed :-)

Thanks and LIVESTRONG:

GO TEAM LEO!!!

5 comments:

Witchie's Place said...

Congratulations and much good luck. Is there someway I can donate through paypal??

Belly Charms said...

I am very proud of you. I just donated $25 and I challenge all other bloggers to join me in supporting you. My dad had cancer last year and as you know my sister is battling brain cancer now. Thanks for walking for such a great cause!!

Froggy said...

Thank you SO much for your generous donation and support. Your support means the world to me!

I'm sorry about your dad and my heart goes out to you, your sister and your families. I lost an aunt after a long, courageous battle against brain cancer. We currently have another family member fighting the same battle against brain cancer. And a friend of mine is fighting inoperable breast cancer. Enough is enough!

LIVESTRONG doesn't currently have a way to donate via Paypal. If anyone is interested in donating via Paypal you can send the donation to my account (dnewstat2 AT uscold DOT com) and I will make the donation in your name. Make sure if you send a donation to my paypal that you include in the notes if the donation is in honor of someone or if you want your blog and/or company acknowledged in the honor roll.

Thank you again!

Julie said...

You rock girl. I'm proud of you. I know this is the day after so how did it go? I bet you did wonderfully. Congratulation on this feat.
Take care and God Bless!!!
Oh by the way, I'm following you just to see what things you can teach me, inspire me to do and just to enjoy the reading.

Froggy said...

Julie, the walk is in August :-) Thank you so much for your encouragement!!!